Maxxon XMX Machined Aluminum Fly Reel
The best deal in an aluminum machined reel today!
The new XMX Series of large arbor reels from Maxxon represents an excellent value in a fly reel that will meet the expectations of even experienced fly anglers. The XMX is an open cage design that is fully CNC machined from 6061-T6 aerospace-grade aluminum, and hard anodized in bright silver.
Three sizes are available:
- 5-/6-weight XMX II - 5.3 oz., 3.46” diameter, WF5F+100 yards of 20-lb. backing),
- 7-/8-weight XMX III - 5.8 oz., 3.78” diameter, WF7F+125 yards of 20-lb. backing)
- 9-/10-weight XMX IV - 6.7 oz., 4.13” diameter, WF9F+180 yards of 30-lb. backing).
From FlyFishAmerica Product Review: All three models have a useable spool width of 1.18”. Our evaluation reel was the 5/6-weight XMX II. The big surprise for us was to find a top-quality, fully machined reel with all the right stuff for only 140 bucks—half to a third of the cost of competitive reels.
- Highly vented spool and frame,
- Quick-detach spool with palming rim,
- An outgoing line clicker
- Centerline disc drag system operated by a 1.25” diameter knurled drag knob that projects 3/8” off of the frame.
Retrieve direction is easily reversed by popping out and reversing the reel’s one-way clutch bearing. During testing we found that the stainless steel counter weight completely eliminated spool wobble even at high rotational speeds. The drag knob rotates through 1.75 revolutions and 75 micro-detents lock to lock. Maximum drag force exceeded the 12-lb. limit of our digital strain gauge, and start-up inertia measured a measly 1.7% in our standard test. This is one heck of a reel for the money.